Orere Primary School - With Knowledge We Grow

Orere School Curriculum Essence Statements

ENGLISH

At Orere School all students will develop their confidence and competence to communicate effectively in a range of contexts by:

• Making meaning by receiving (listening, reading, viewing).

• Creating meaning for themselves or others (speaking, writing, presenting).

Students will apply language skills across a range of authentic purposeful contexts, tasks and audiences.

MATHEMATICS AND STATISTICS

At Orere School students will think logically to successfully solve numerical, geometrical and statistical problems.

Number and Algebra – number is calculating and estimating using many strategies. Algebra is relationships involving patterning, number, shapes and measures.

Geometry and measurement – geometry is shapes, position and movement. Measurement is quantifying attributes and using appropriate units of measurement.

Statistics – statistics is collecting, processing and interpreting data.

Students will apply Mathematics skills across a range of authentic purposeful contexts, tasks and audiences.

SCIENCE

At Orere School students will develop a process to investigate, and build their understanding about their world and beyond. They will develop the capacity to problem solve, make decisions and gather evidence to make informed judgements through:

Nature of science – foundation of skills, attitudes and values that underpin the other 4 strands.

Living world – interaction between living things and their environment.

Planet Earth and beyond – interdependent systems and processes of earth, solar system and universe.

Physical world – explanation of physical phenomena united by the concept of energy transformation.

Material world – the study of matter and the changes it undergoes.

Students will apply Science skills across a range of authentic purposeful contexts, tasks and audiences.

SOCIAL SCIENCES

At Orere School students will be connected and involved in their community and the wider world.

Identity, culture and organization – learn about society & communities and how they function.

Place and Environment – learn and understand how people and the environment interact.

Continuity and change – learn and understand the past and present and imagine the possible future.

Economic World – learn and understand their role in the economy and how economic decisions affect individuals and communities.

Students will apply Social Science skills across a range of authentic purposeful contexts, tasks and audiences.

THE ARTS

At Orere School students will express themselves and communicate ideas in an imaginative and creative way through all four disciplines:

Danceis expressive movement that has intent, purpose and form.

Dramaexpresses experience through a focus on role, action and tension in time and space.

Music (Sound Art) is a form of personal and cultural expression through sound.

Visual Arts is participating, discerning and celebrating their own and others’ creations.

Students will apply Arts skills across a range of authentic purposeful contexts, tasks and audiences.

HEALTH AND PHYSICAL EDUCATION

At Orere School students will regularly participate in active and enjoyable activities and know the benefits for personal wellbeing. Students will develop their understanding of Hauora (well-being), attitudes and values, the socio-ecological perspective and Health Promotion in the four strands:

Personal health and physical development

Movement concepts and motor skills

Relationships with other people

Healthy communities and environments

There are seven key areas of learning in Health and Physical Education: Mental

Health, Sexuality education, Food and nutrition, Body Care and Physical Safety,

Physical activity, Sport Studies and Outdoor Education

TECHNOLOGY

At Orere School students will intervene to solve a problem or address needs.

There are 3 strands that are usually taught together:

Technological Practice - In technological practice students examine the practice of others and undertake their own. They develop a range of outcomes, including concepts, plans, briefs, technological models and fully realised products or systems.

Technological Knowledge - Through the technological knowledge strand students develop knowledge particular to technological enterprises and environments and

understandings of how and why things work.

Nature of Technology - Through the nature of technology strand students develop an understanding of technology and its influence and impact on people and/or the environment.

Students will apply technological skills across a range of authentic purposeful contexts, tasks and audiences.

ENVIROSCHOOLS

Orere School is an Enviroschool. Teaching and learning programmes develop the enviroschool principles as an integral part of teaching and learning programmes across a range of curriculum areas each year.

Striving towards the next award level provides momentum and impetus to the children’s learning and involvement.

LEARNING LANGUAGES

At Orere School students will be given opportunities to experience other languages and cultures in appropriate social contexts.

There are 3 strands. The core strand is communication and the supporting strands are language knowledge and cultural knowledge.

Maori Language will be taught to all class levels through meaningful contexts in which students have a genuine need to communicate in te reo Maori.

Year 7 and 8 students will participate in the Virtual Learning Network online programme to learn an additional language.

Find out the meaning behind our design